Thursday, May 1, 2008

Some Recent Purchases Part 1

I have cut back my purchasing of cards significantly since I need to save some money for next semester of school. I plan on renting an apartment somewhere near school. Anyways, here are a few of the cards I recently purchased. This vendor was practically giving cards away by selling 3-4 cards for a buck.


This is a 2005-06 Upper Deck Reflections Josh Smith jersey card. Not my favorite card that I bought but he's an up and coming player. The Atlanta Hawks were on a heck of a run right now in the playoffs. But their two game winning streak ended yesterday against the Celtics. If they manage to win game 6, you never know, crazier things have happened in sports. Josh Smith has been one of the main reasons why the Hawks have made this a series. The man is a great player because of his size, length, and athleticism. Any shot close to the basket is in danger of being swatted by him. If he learns to stop settling for 3 pointers and instead take the ball to the rack, he will become a monster of a player.


This is the 2005-06 Upper Deck Sweet Shot Marvin Williams jersey card. It is serial numbered 54/125. 125... not bad. It's been said many times, but it's worth mentioning again; what were the Hawks thinking when they drafted Marvin Williams over Chris Paul and Deron Williams? Yes, Marvin Williams had a lot of potential and still does. But their greatest need was at point guard and up until they got Mike Bibby that was their greatest hole. Marvin is a good player with great size and athleticism. But the Hawks have way too many small forward type players. I have not watched the Hawks enough to know who should be traded among the Hawks' young small forwards. But I think they should trade Williams or Childress (Hawks fans can enlighten me on who is the better player) for a big man, pg, or first round draft picks. With all that said, I still think he has the ability to become a perennial allstar. He's a versatile player with a good shot. He, like Josh Smith, should take the ball to the rack more. Personally, if the Hawks end up trading either Williams or Childress, I think they should keep Williams. But, if the Hawks don't want them, as a Lakers fan I will welcome him with open arms.


This here is the 2007-08 Upper Deck SP Tracy McGrady game-used jersey card. I personally think this card looks pretty damn sweet. I'm a big fan of SP's card designs because imho, they look simple yet fancy at the same time. Unfortunately for T-Mac, he's never been passed the first round and it sure does not look like this will be his year. More to come later...

No comments: