Sunday, May 11, 2008

Long Time No See


I was cleaning out my closet when I stumbled upon a box of old cards I used to collect when I was a kid. While they weren't my "favorites" back when I was 9 years old, I realized that there are some very interesting cards and familiar faces in that box. Most of the cards in that box are from the late 80s to late 90s. Many of the card brands in the box are now defunct or shelved by their parent companies. The card pictured above is the 1997-98 Dennis Scott Metal Universe card. I remember as a kid that Metal Universe was my favorite brand of card. It was a brand of the Skybox International company, which was aquired by Fleer during the mid 90s. As far as Dennis Scott is concerned, I remember most clearly his Orlando Magic days. His 3 point shooting ability made him a valuable contributor to those mid 90s Magic teams. He was extremely good at making opposing teams pay when they focused all their defensive attention of Shaq and Penny. I also remembered Scott missing 4 straight free throws in a playoff game, but I can't recall against who.


This is the 1992-93 Skybox Matt Geiger rookie card. I don't remember watching Geiger when I started watching the NBA during the mid 90s. But I do remember him during his Sixer days. He was a decent rebounder and had a respectable midrange shot. He was one of the big bodies that the Sixers threw at Shaq during the 2001 NBA Finals. His efforts were obviously in vain. Geiger is also known as the only player to be busted and punished for violating the NBA's steroids policy.


NBA Hoops. This brand to me symbolizes the old school basketball cards of the late 80s and early 90s. The card pictured above is the 1989-90 Mark Jackson Nba Hoops card. He is currently second among the all time career assist leaders. I mostly remember him for his Indiana Pacer days when he played alongside Reggie Miller. Jackson was one of the best post up point guards I have ever seen. Although Jackson did not look that an overpowering point guard, his back to the basket ability and strength often catches the defender off guard. His post game was so dangerous that Phil Jackson decided to put Scottie Pippen on Jackson during one of their playoff series in an attempt to neutralize him. While his basketball skills were undeniable, I must admit his broadcasting abilities leaves more to be desired.


While I was digging through some of my old cards, I found this little gem, a 1996 UD Collector's Choice Barry Sanders card. Sanders was undoubtedly one of the greatest running backs of all time. In his short nine year career, he came close to breaking several rushing records, including Walter Payton's career rushing mark.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I thought it was Nick Anderson who missed the the 4 straight free throws in Game 1 of the Magic-Houston NBA finals in 1995.